Monday 16 July 2018

Roadtrip Up North - A Little Slice of Paradise


Our spontaneous decision last night to go to Koh Mook meant that, the next day we still had no idea how to get there. Nor did we have a place to stay. Being media-savvy children of the 21st century, we quickly googled all that while checking out.

Ok, all set to move out. First we had to drive southwards to the sleepy beachside town of Trang, then take a ferry (yeah right, it was just a 1-engine sampan) to get there. It was my first time in Trang, and let me just say that town is gorgeous! And practically has zero tourists on the beach, which is waaaaaayyyy prettier than Krabi. 

Look at that view!
I didn't even have to purposely frame it to try to make it seem as empty of people as possible.

Trang is actually a connecting point for those who want to visit the many islands of the Andaman sea, being surrounded by them. But why it wasn't developed like Krabi or Phuket is anyone's guess. Probably a good thing too, to preserve gem of a place. 

Let me show you another treasure in Trang, possibly my favourite place of all there: 

Pine Tree Tunnel Road.

Ok I know it doesn't look all that impressive in picture. But imagine driving along a 5km tree lined road with the azure blue sea just peaking beyond the trees. This is the stuff roadtrip dreams are made of!

Stepping into kampung Koh Mook


To be honest, my first impression of Koh Mook after stepping off the boat was quite underwhelming. After all the modernity of Krabi, what is this kampung place? And oh the disappointment! The beach in front of our resort was rocky and muddy instead of sandy. 


My own little hut with a sea facing view.
I'll have you know that this is the best hut in the resort with the best view ok. We got a free upgrade. 


The sea facing view hahaha...
See what I mean about the beach?


Inside.
The toilet is fairly exposed to the elements as they built the huts around the trees rather than chopping them off. My friend's hut had a whole tree trunk inside the toilet. 


So, as you can see, this place is very back to nature. We had a few visitors of the scaly variety at night come visit. No snakes thank God! But really really REALLY ginormous geckos. Black, yellow, brown, you name it, they have it there. Now, lizards are pretty much on the top 3 things I'm terrified of, just below snakes, but I was so brave throughout the stay (if I must say so myself). I steeled myself to use the toilet even when the gecko was totally eyeballing me. 

The Slice


Once we had settled in, the resort sent a messenger to tell us to pick us up and bring us to the beach for sunset. Ooh! Sounds promising. Ok I'll give this place a chance. We quickly hopped into the motorcycle taxi (there are no cars on this island) and made our way to the beach. Which by the way, was like an ATV ride. There are some parts where it's just grass, rocks and dirt roads. So exhilarating! 

One of the main roads.
You can see part of a motorcycle taxi at the left of the picture. 

By the time we left this place, I was totally in love with this place. It was just so different to go back in time to a simpler time, and this place is really beautiful. Let me show you...

Farang Haad/ Charlie Beach


I love this place!

Look at how clear the water is....



The water is unbelievably shallow for miles.
See how the water only reaches my friend's bum although they are so much further in.

Beach boy doggo.

Slippers off and beer in hand.


Just enjoying the moment.
Moments like these make me thankful to be alive.


What else is there?


The next day, we went island hopping caving and snorkeling. Shakes my head. 
But I didn't hurl my breakfast so it's all good. 

The unique thing about this island is that the tide really goes in in the morning. So, in order to get to our waiting boat, we had to walk some distance out on the mud flat. Quite a good morning exercise. 


Beached boat.
Not our boat. 


Sighted, our ride for the day.
Taking our own sweet time to get there because the view is too gorgeous to not capture. 


Some cave.
Nice day for sightseeing. See how calm the water is (the most important thing for me).

There's nothing much to do on the island except relaxing and exploring the islands. There were many many more islands we didn't get to explore because chicken me didn't want to go too far out to sea. 
So for the rest of the day, we just lazed about the beach and discovered Koh Mook. 


Where residents live.

And at nights, we walked along the mud flats or stayed in and just chilled with snacks. 


Hermit crabs are everywhere on the beach.
They are so cute! And unafraid of humans. 


And soon enough, it was time to say goodbye to this magical place. In my mind, I was already planning my next trip back here. 


Goodbye Koh Mook! Thanks for treating us so well.


No comments:

Post a Comment